Tuesday, September 29, 2009

sCiEnCe w/ dad!!!

Kep and the boys spotted this beehive a couple months ago while hiking around our backwoods. So we stayed away from the hive until we had about a week of freezing temperatures to kill off the bees. Then Kep went back to cut it down this weekend. And, now we have had our first science lesson on an animals' habitat! A couple weeks ago Parker and I read about bees making their habitat so this was exciting for him to see it first hand. I, myself, have loved these animal studies... I am constantly amazed by the creative handiwork of our God! Some bees make their nests/beehives of paper as insects are capable of making their own paper from plant materials. WOW!
Parker is thoroughly excited! And the reason Noah has "backed up" with this look of discust is because we could not convince him that bees were not going to fly out and sting him! Yep, the boys are in their PJS at 4pm... the beauty of homeschooling!!!
SIGH... no live bees! But there were plenty of dead ones and a few larva that inched around our porch- yuck! I love science but the decaying smells are not my fav. As soon as Kep cut the hive open... a nasty smell engulfed us!
Meet "Wilson" with his comb! (Wilson i.e. "Home Improvement" neighbor!) All those little circles are bee eggs that never hatched (at least that is what we told Parker- so we hope it's true as we couldn't find more info. on the internet). We cut a few of them open and there laid a full~grown dead bee! So there ya go... our first science "experiment"!

1 comment:

Thorness Times said...

Good Job, great science experiment! Love Noah's face in the first pic, hilarious! I also like 'Wilson'! Love ya!